Saturday, August 21, 2004

Gawd I'm tired

But what else is new? It's said that good sleep is a necessity, not a luxury. I beg to differ. It most certainly is a luxury. An oft-pursued, dreamed of, craved, wished for luxury. I suppose some people could say I'm a complete fool for working third shift (and continuing to do it for 14 years), but how many people can say they regularly see both sunset and sunrise in a day? Or be plopped down on the couch at 730am, watching the bauble channels and Fox News on TV with a box of Triscuits, herbed cream cheese, and a bag of Crispy M&M's, already having put in a full day's work while other carbon units haven't even rolled out of bed yet? (*ahem*: Gotta put the cabash on the M&M's part)

Got the weekend to myself, since Tim is off camping with Scott and the nephews. Might be a good time to make a big batch of orange chile noodles (here's the recipe) and spend a whole boatload of time on the computer. No excuse for sitting on my can and watching the bauble channels. I should be sitting on my can in front of the computer doing this. Or writing more fic. Or learning something, anything new.

Orange Chile Noodles

Recipe courtesy of Caprial Pence from 'Sarah's Secrets' on Food Network

12 ounces dried Chinese egg noodles or spaghetti (vermicelli is good…I just use the whole pound package)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (half that works just fine…I used peanut oil)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon peeled minced fresh ginger (more is better)
1 orange, zested and juiced
1 teaspoon frozen orange juice, thawed (more is better)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup sweet hot chile sauce ( nuoc cham ga or mae ploy, a Thai condiment)
chopped scallions (green onions) for garnish (optional)

In stockpot over high heat, bring about 8 cups water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook until al dente, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain well and place in large bowl. Set aside.

Whisk together remaining ingredients (I put the oil, garlic and ginger in a small chopper/food processor and whirl until fine. Then add to the other dressing ingredients). Pour the dressing over the noodles and toss well. Let sit at least 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped scallions.

Wasabi-covered peanuts are a great additional garnish. This is also good with julienned carrots, red bell peppers and snow peas tossed in. Fresh pineapple slivers, too. Green grape halves are awesome. Caution: this dish is addictive.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

mmmmmm....noodles... This does indeed look addictive. I could eat a bathtub of this.
Very nice. Keep it up.
I need to quit my job so I can cook. Maybe this winter I will have some opportunity.

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home