Mutant foaming slugs
Well, I'm about to leave for the Food Bank. A little volunteering I do once a week. I've been doing it since January of 1999, but I think a lot of the thrill has vanished for me. It's probably one of those things where you get out of it what you put into it. Maybe I need to start doing something different. Last week was one of those times where I thought I REALLY need to look for some more meaningful volunteering to do. Usually I fill emergency bags, but in the middle of summertime, people aren't thinking about donating food. So it was I found myself without any food to use for our bag program, but the office manager said, 'I have a project for you...' Shoulda run out the back door of the warehouse right then and there. I was asked to sort through a tote (a box the size of an office cubicle on a pallet) full of cucumbers and place 8 to 10 of them in net bags. Throw out the bad ones. Sounds like something anyone could manage. Well, there were plenty of bad ones. We're talking about 1/3 or so. And they were BAAAAAD. You didn't pick them up, you carefully scooped them up with your fingers, hoping you could scoop up most of the slimy, moldy, reeking, dripping innards bursting out of the skins, and fling the mess into a bag. To make a long story short, I got the job done in about an hour, complete with mopping the floor where the pallet had been, because this hellish vegetal goo had seeped through and dripped on the floor. I kept thinking I must have seriously pissed someone off somewhere around here. Or it was just that kinda week, because the night at work had sucked, and this was truly the icing on the cake. Well, last night at work sucked, and now this morning I'm in no mood for anything like this again. We'll see how it goes...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home