Thank God Almighty, Free At Last!

I've been on vacation for almost 3 hours now! Yeeeeehaawww!!
I managed to make it through the week without shooting off my mouth or popping off something that would have gotten me written up. I didn't always take the high road, but I managed to keep what I thought to myself when it counted.
Notable examples:
A nurse came down to pick up a unit of blood for a patient. "I'm sorry," she says. Confused, I answered 'Why?' Hell, it *is* my job to be present to dispense Blood Bank products. "Weren't you at lunch?" More confused, I said 'No'. I had walked out of Hematology, stripping off a pair of bloody gloves...what on God's green earth made her think I'd been eating lunch??
I should insert the observation here that while there are some hefty gals that work in the hospital, this one honestly made me do a double-take. I mean really. At least 300 pounds. Seriously.
I added that no, lunch was going to be a gift, if I got one at all. I told her the other tech was inhaling his and cutting his own far short because we were so busy with all the work.
To this she says "Oh, I know what you mean!"
There are times when I swear God is double-dog daring me to give in to temptation and just pop off with what I think. Which was: this woman appeared to have about a year's worth of long, leisurely Roman style, loosen your toga Caesar-worthy lunches attached to her rear end. How in all that is holy could she possibly 'know what I mean'?
*ahem*
I was a good little monkey and said nothing and did not even so much as cut my eyes in her direction as I proceeded to bring up the patient information on the computer screen and issue the unit of blood.
Earlier in the week: Finally fed up with all the little reminder post cards I'd been steadily getting from the company that is compiling my alma mater's current directory to call immediately to update my information, I called the 1-800 number. A woman comes on the line, and I'm sorry to be stereotypical once again, but I'm pretty sure I was talking to an outsource in India or Pakistan or somewhere about 7000 miles away.
We get to the number of children. 'No children?' she asks. "No children" I confirm. To which she adds, 'Not yet.'
It was much, much later that the thought occurred to me I could have given the training people for this company one hell of a recording to use for their phone employees. Like for what NOT to say to callers. I guess it just never occurred to her that if I graduated from college in 1985, it's getting just a teensy bit late for me to start having kids.
Aside from that, what she apparently regarded as her helpful and friendly commentary on my personal reproductive status was entirely out of line.
But all she got was polite silence. And firm 'NO' to inquiries to my wanting to purchase the newest LSSU directory.
So I made it through a short but grueling work week and here I sit drinking a nice Lake Louie Brewing Co. Scotch ale. I swear I had a harder time making it through the last 3 days than I did that 12-day stretch in the spring. What with working short and staying overtime, dealing with ignorant twats, *and* putting up with all my least favorite coworkers...Gahh!!!!!!
Bonus: Thunderstorms today. Earlier this morning it sounded like armageddon coming from the west. It was the leading, developing edge of a big system coming across the state. Constant thunder, like machinery from hell in the distance.
Now that's past, but there's still more coming. So what if it's completely breezeless and as humid as a Turkish bath outside. I love summertime stormy weather.
I plan to sleep first. I'm really hoping this *&%#$(! ovarian cyst will fade away sometime today and leave me in peace for another month. It's been pretty bad the last 24 hours. And then once I've regained my strength, it will be time to swing into action in the kitchen tonight. On the 'to do' list today: Corned Beef Hash, Chewy Granola Bars, and homemade granola. This, plus a whole lot more to be taken along on our camping trip. We leave Sunday at the crack of dawn, to travel about 500 miles north to the glorious Keeweenaw peninsula.
No work for 11 flipping nights! This definitely calls for another handful of chocolate chips.


1 Comments:
LOL and amen to an escape from work. Love the picture.
Post a Comment
<< Home