No Bake Cookies

How many things have the near-instant gratification of a No-Bake? Within a half hour of walking in the door from work, I was popping one of these into my mouth.
I claimed for years that I could not make these. I had created runny piles of goo the first time I tried these, and the time after that. So I just didn't try any more. Probably better off without the high calorie temptation anyway.
But then the topic came up at work again (the hospital cafeteria actually makes a pretty good No-Bake...one of the few things I see people bringing into the break room for their lunches that isn't deep fried or just plain gross). And I got a craving, so I thought I'd try them again. I was so happy with a successful batch I went so far as to challenge a coworker to a No-Bake throwdown Friday night. Not so much for competition as to have twice as many to eat.
Two things: use quick cooking oatmeal like the recipe says. Unless you like the manly texture of old fashioned oats. Not bad, but I felt a bit like a horse chewing my first batch. And I think I just needed to review what really is boiling. When it says boil, it means boil. Not simmer. No runny piles of goo this time!
I used Aunt Mary's recipe:
Part A:
2 cups sugar
3 tb unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup margarine (I used butter)
1/2 cup milk
dash of salt
Part B:
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
Bring ingredients in part A to a rapid boil. Boil for 1 minute, then add ingredients in part B (have ingredients in part B measured and ready to dash into cooked mixture). Mix well (working quickly). Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper.
PS: Tastes just as good without the cocoa. Add a little extra vanilla for peanut butter cookies instead of chocolate.
Labels: No-Bake Cookies


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home