Sunday Dinner Rolls
So yeah, it seems I have posted nothing but food/recipes on my blog for months. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. There have been plenty of other things going on, but I think Facebook (Wastebook) has absorbed some of that. And lately I haven't had a whole lot of earth-shattering insights. Other than it's colder than a witch's hoo-ha outside, time is still flying faster than ever, and that I'm getting older, and perpetually fighting (and more or less breaking even) in the wintertime weight gain battle.
Anyway:

Or Saturday Night Dinner rolls (which is when we made them to go with a beef tenderloin), or whatever day of the week you want to make these.
This recipe came from my-sister-in-law in Pennsylvania. She made them for us the weekend following Thanksgiving 2009. I think she got it out of a Pennsylvania Dutch/Amish cookbook. They're soft, slightly sweet and very addictive. Better than anything you'll pop out of a paper and metal tube with a Doughboy character on it.
1 package yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup warm water
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup milk powder (optional)
4 cups flour
Dissolve yeast and sugar in water. Beat in eggs, oil, salt and milk powder. Gradually stir in flour until well mixed and evenly moistened. This dough is rather sticky and will raise at least twice its size, so use a large bowl. No kneading is required. Cover bowl and let stand overnight. In the morning divide the dough into 4 parts. Use plenty of flour on the board or wax paper and roll out each part in a circle. Cut each circle like a pizza in 8 pieces. Roll large end to small end and place on greased pans. Let stand until after church (or for an hour). Bake at 375 for 8 minutes. Brush tops with melted butter.
Notes: I elected not to brush them with melted butter, and they were still good. I needed to leave them in the oven a few more minutes to give them a bit more color.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home