Friday, March 18, 2011

Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes



These were an absolute hit at work for the most recent bake sale yesterday (to raise cash for our Laboratory Professionals Week in April...which I will not be leaving the country to escape this year, BTW). In fact, I wonder if any of these made it to be sold outside of laboratory staff, judging by the comments I got last night and this morning from second and first shifters. My Irish Soda Bread and mint chocolate biscotti got minimal mention. However, I did notice that probably half the biscotti were already sold/gone before the sale even started at 7.

I also took some to LACASA to share, and they were much admired and relished there. Since I volunteer for a strictly anti-violence organization, I changed the name to 'Happy Irish Cupcake'. Which amused the staff to no end. I had some second thoughts about the name anyway, since I have seen these posted various places, and with very heated comment threads. I can see the basis for being offended. I suppose in my casual travels around the internet recipe world, I've seen this name often and long enough that it doesn't strike me as offensive. It almost seems like community property by now. I've also never seen foods/drinks named after painful events Columbine, Waco, Oklahoma City, or Iraq or Afghanistan. I haven't gone LOOKING, but I suspect I might have a long search. As though people just know not to go there.

Some jokes about violence and disasters are in poor taste, yes. But come on, once in a while ya just gotta lighten up.

Here's the recipe from the Smitten Kitchen site

I doubled the cupcake recipe and the ganache. I tripled the frosting recipe so I would have enough for the rosettes, and that was just enough to cover all 46 cupcakes. The clever 12-ounce clear drink cup containment dome? An idea I lifted from one of the phlebotomists at work.

And since I had O'Mara's Irish Cream taking up space in the fridge (for going on a year now), I used that instead of Bailey's.

I was asking $2 each for these, and apparently that's what people gladly paid. I was also offered a commission to make more of these by the facility coordinator at LACASA, but unfortunately time between now and when she needs them Sunday is too short. These were a two-day project crammed into work days. And I really don't want to trash the kitchen again.





(ETA: pics from the batch I made for Dr. Brannigin's annual St. Patrick's Day party 3/17/12)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home