Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Clean Bill o' Health

Unbelievable. I must be doing something right in the dental department at last, because this 6 month check-up/cleaning didn't end up morphing into 3 or 4 more visits for more reconstructive work. Thank God for dental coverage, but jeez, I was starting to feel like I was really helping to keep that office in business for the last year or three. Looks like the implant is going to stay in place at last, and not ONE suspicious spot or area that needs watching. No hmm's or humm's over 'shadows' or other ominous things, followed by instructions to return for fillings or prep work for crowns. I now sit here savoring the delicate crunch of the remnants of dental cleaner, and the echoes of the compliments on how excellent my gum tissue is...

Gotta start getting back on the oatmeal plan. No, not like my neighbor who eats it twice a day when she needs to lose a few pounds. I think once a day is sufficient. This is the same woman who said she'd gone on a chicken and cabbage diet around New Year's. I listened to her say that, and thought, no WAY would I have wanted to be in their house a few hours after dinner time. Anyway, the last weekend was an eating extravaganza up north. Lots of visiting in Grayling, and plenty of eating and drinking. The party in Tyke and Sally's back yard was great, with pretty much all the same Golnick family and friends as July 4th. And more! Because Rodney was back from Mosul, Iraq for his two week leave.

I could brag on the apple pie I brought, but *polishes nails on puffed out chest and indolently examines them* others did that for me. I'm tellin' ya, every time I make that Crunchy Caramel Apple pie, people go nuts. It's Rodney's favorite, and since he was the guest of honor, I made a BIIIIIGGG one. I used my lasagna pan and filled that sucker to the brim. 30 cups of sliced apples, and almost two hours to bake. It was a monster. I used a Rubbermaid storage tote to carry the thing. But there was very little left, and I even had a confirmed non-apple pie eater take home two pieces to enjoy later.

Dave is doing well after his triple bypass surgery. We spend just as much time with him and Joanne as we do with Sharon and Rodney when we go up to Grayling any more. His color wasn't the greatest on Saturday night, but I suppose that isn't all that unusual, given that he just had the surgery two Thursdays prior. Glad to see he's admitting when he's tired and going home to bed when it's time. Too bad we won't be going on our camping trip with them the weekend after Labor Day. We knew that was outta the question when we heard he was having surgery. But Tim and I might go on our own, and this will depend heavily on the weather. We will probably check out Young State Park near Charlevoix. Haven't been there since the late 80's. I hate to say it, but I think that's another place that needs to be 'purged' or have the magic chicken foot waved over it or whatever. Like the Tetons and Colorado, it's a place I remember for mom's spectacular queen bitch fests, and if I go there in this happy time of my life with Tim, the bad memories will fade and go away. Next year should be back to normal with camping, because Rodney will be back, and hopefully the weather will dish out less flooding and pestilence. And Dave and Joanne's 5th wheel is swank. Can't imagine us ever owning such a thing, but it will be very nice to hang out in if the weather really blows. They are so proud of it, they just glow.

Tim did some baby back ribs and some chickens in the smoker, on Sunday and they were succulent and yummy. We had a total of 4 chickens, since Dave and Joanne insisted on contributing theirs. Baked potatoes and apple pie from Sharon's sister-in-law Linda rounded out a meal that followed a lazy day of sipping beer and Bone Relaxers. Then we watched a bootleg copy of 'The Terminal', which was really cute. Rodney says copies of movies are everywhere in Iraq. This one was skillfully enough made so that there were just a few bobbles here and there where some scene transitions were, and you couldn't see any head silhouettes at all on the lower edge of the screen *G*.

Long past time for bed. Yes, I know, more than 4 hours a day is slothful beyond belief, but too bad. The gravel in my eyes...it hurts.

***************************************************************************************************


Crunchy Caramel Apple Pie

(From Better Homes and Gardens Oct. 1997)

1 recipe pastry for single crust pie
1/2 C sugar
3 Tb all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
6 cups thinly sliced, peeled cooking apples
1 recipe crumb topping
1/2 C chopped pecans
1/4 C caramel ice cream topping

Prepare pastry. On lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim; crimp edge as desired.
In large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Add apple slices and gently toss until coated. Transfer apple mixture to pastry-line pie plate. Sprinkle crumb topping over apple mixture.
To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 375 oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes more, or until top is golden. Remove from oven; sprinkle pie with pecans, then drizzle with caramel topping. Cool on wire rack. Makes 8 servings.

Pastry for single crust pie: In a bowl stir together 1 1/4 C all-purpose flour and 1/4 tsp salt. Using pastry blender, cut in 1/3 C shortening until pieces are pea-size. Using 4 to 5 Tb cold water total, sprinkle 1 Tb at a time over flour mixture, tossing with fork until all of the dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball.

Crumb topping: Stir together 1 C packed brown sugar, 1/2 C all-purpose flour, and 1/2 C quick-cooking rolled oats. Using pastry blender, cut in 1/2 C butter or margarine until the topping mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

*****************************************************************************************************

Bone Relaxers (From Big Bruce's Chili Mix package insert)

1 cup vodka
1 cup peach schnapps
1 cup dark rum
1 cup orange liqueur (Triple Sec)
1 quart orange juice
1/2 gallon orange-cranberry Tropicana Twister


Makes 1 gallon

We long ago decided ice is optional, but Sharon thought up putting it in her smoothie maker with a just a little ice...and it's really good that way. Best served in a gawdy, cheap plastic flamingo or palm tree glass while camping.

Jello Shot Adaptation

I've been threatened to be thrown back onto Ogemaw St. if I do not bring these to future Golnick parties. Take 1 1/3 C Tropicana Twister and 1/3 C orange juice and bring to a boil in the microwave. Carefully stir in one package of cranberry jello, one package orange jello, and one envelope unflavored gelatin. Allow to cool a few minutes, and then stir in 1/4 C vodka, 1/4 C peach schapps, 1/4 C dark rum, and 1/4 C triple sec. Pour into small plastic cups with lids...you can find these at Gordon's Foods. Have these ready on a baking sheet. Cool for a couple hours and cover with the lids.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home