Purple Haze
Today's project: three batches of elderberry jelly. It's been a days-long odyssey of tromping through neck-high brush, picking, mashing, simmering, squeezing, squishing, boiling, and purple messes all over the kitchen. But there is the satisfying sight of 11 jars cooling on the kitchen counter. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this stuff sets. Last time I made it, the pectin never set, but we ended up with some damn good pancake syrup.
I'm not quite done yet. I have enough thick, unctuous dark juice left to make maybe two batches of cordial. I found a recipe on line, and it has 'holidays' written all over it (meaning it is redolent of brandy, spices and sugar).
I also got excited about trying apple butter. I've never made that before, but I'm going to give that a try one of these days, too. It takes forever to cook down, but that doesn't really scare me. Slow food is a good thing.


9 Comments:
This is bullshit. This posting got spammed 5 minutes after I put it up. I'm sorry to all, but I'm going to have to activate the human screener.
Click on 'proquis' and leave a horribly rude comment on its blog. I really don't know how else to get even. I feel like Impotent Little Person when this crap happens.
Effing panhandlers are everywhere!
Sounds like the "fruits" of your labor will pay off nicely. Let me know how the apple butter goes. I love that stuff!
I may have to bring some of my preserves in to work...for QC purposes, of course.
BTW, the 'effing panhandler' has quite a number of comments filling up its blog right now. And I have lots more time on my hands...
I love the comments you've left there.
It gets better: Tim called their toll free phone number just now and asked to speak to their legal department. It's a UK-based company, but they have an office in Illinois. Isn't it bad enough that we get junk mail and spams from our own country, but now we get it from overseas, too??
Hey everyone, call Proquis toll free 877-876-3430, or 847 768 6921 and ask to speak to whoever set up the Blog site, and why on earth they are spamming the other Blogs of American citizens who are minding their own business.
Interestingly, the link to leave comments on their site is now gone. Last I looked it was at 59 comments, and I felt that wasn't nearly enough. I was going to spend much of my lunch time leaving interesting and informative comments there.
Obviously we got someone's attention. I had it up to 66 before the comments link and everything in it disappeared. I haven't had this much fun amusing myself in I don't know when!
Post a Comment
<< Home