Saturday, January 14, 2006

Appliances For Rent

I hate the fact that you buy an electronic device, knowing full well that in a couple of years you will be in some kind of position where you have to get rid of it. You've paid 'X' number of dollars for such devices, but can you recoup that cost? Probably not.

The other day I was doing my thing in the kitchen (I was inspired to cook, for the first time in almost 2 weeks), and suddenly the TV went black and a high pitched squealing was the only noise coming out of it. I said 'WTF??' Poor Mocha Java immediately went into his 'nervous position', which is sitting on the brick fireplace hearth with his tail protectively wrapped around himself. I thought maybe it was the channel, but no, it wasn't Jewelry Television having technical difficulties. It was every channel.

Maybe the TV had finally had its fill of the Bauble Channel.

Even with the TV off, any connection to the electric socket with the plug only produced this annoying, otherworldly wail. I Googled and searched in vain for any TV troubleshooting ideas on line, but found nothing. Looks like we'll be TV shopping tomorrow, something we had not thought we would be doing for a few years yet. This TV is only 4 years old.

And where is it going to end up? Probably on the curb in front of our house. I HATE that! There's got to be some use for a junked TV. Can someone use it for parts? Can it be fixed? Can it serve any purpose at all except to take up more space in a landfill? Some technician would slap us with some hefty fee just to look at the thing to see if it could be fixed. And electronics are just about disposable nowadays that the cost of fixing it might equal the cost of a brand new TV.

I think it's going to end up on the curb, but out by the side of M-59, a very busy main road. Some trash picker will see it as treasure and take it away. And hopefully delay its fate in a landfill.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Wow. Bummer. What you need to do now is be American and buy a 400" LCD HD flatscreen home-networked nanotech 6 gigawatt display, that sears holographic images directly into your cortex, won't be obsolete until next week, and costs only 40 grand.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Mister Orange said...

A TV shouldn't die that soon, but they've never been cheaper. A trash picker will indeed show up and sniff around it, probably taking it and soothing your conscience.
I recommend one of those new Rose Colored Televisions, the kind that distort programming to seem happy, optimistic and without injustice.

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home