Peanut Butter Honey Sweet Rolls
I hallucinated these shortly after the chocolate sweet rolls. This morning I executed the idea, for a leisurely Sunday brunch. We think these are actually TOO rich. Yes, that's what I said: too rich. Richer than the chocolate rolls. Probably it's a simple matter of backing off the peanut butter and/or butter in the dough, and increasing the flour back to closer to 5 cups. At three cups of all-purpose, the dough seemed content the way it was, so I started kneading. When it didn't stick to the countertop at any point, I knew I had plenty of fat under my hands. And I had to give this a good 15 minute knead before I saw serious gluten formation. Which makes sense, since richer doughs need longer kneading times (source: Harold McGee's 'On Food and Cooking').
For the dough:
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
6 tb honey
6 tb butter, softened
2 packages yeast (4 1/2 tsp)
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 cups all-purpose flour
about 1/4 cup wheat bran
about 1/2 generous cup peanut butter
ETA 10/13/12:
Back to the drawing board. Changes: only 3 tb butter, 3 generous tb peanut butter (natural, because that's all we have in the house these days), eliminate the whole wheat flour, and increase salt to 1 1/2 tsp and all purpose flour to 5 cups.
For the filling:
3/4 to 1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
4 Tb butter, softened
about 1/2 cup wheat germ
about 4 Tb honey
a few grinds sea salt
Warm the milk and honey to 105-115 F. Melt the butter and add to the milk. Add yeast and let stand 5 to 10 minutes to bloom. Slightly beat the eggs and add. Stir in peanut butter, salt, the whole wheat flour and the wheat bran and mix to combine. Gradually add the all-purpose flour until dough can be handled. Knead 15 minutes. Use after allowing to rise until doubled, or proof in the fridge overnight.
Mix all filling ingredients. Roll dough out to a rectangle about 12 by 18 inches. Spread filling on dough and roll starting from long side. Seal tightly. Slice into about 11 rolls, and place in a parchment-lined deep dish pizza pan, having sprayed the paper with non-stick butter-flavored cooking spray.

Let rolls rise until at least doubled, and they almost fill the pan. Bake at 350 F 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Glaze:
about a cup powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons honey
2-3 tablespoons peanut butter
splash vanilla
enough whole milk to make drizzling consistency
Drizzle glaze onto rolls when they come out of the oven. Top with a big handful of Trader Joe's Old Fashioned salted Blister Peanuts, roughly chopped. Get milk and coffee: you're going to need them.


BTW, that brown sugar-roasted bacon played quite nicely with these.
*lazily slumps in chair*
I need to rest. And then go for a 5-mile walk. And then do some weights.
Labels: Peanut Butter Honey Sweet Rolls


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home