Monday, June 21, 2010

Homemade Granola




This gets made at least a couple times a summer for camping trips. The recipe makes a lot, so there is plenty to share with your camping group, or to enjoy when you get home. Not too sweet, and easy to customize (I can see coconut haters wanting to leave that out...and you certainly could, but I've witnessed coconut haters eating anyway with full disclosure that it's in there). The one change I make is substituting whole toasted almonds for the cashews. The cashews would probably be good, but I've always thought almonds fit a little better. And are slightly less fattening. Either way, a good hike or paddle in a canoe or kayak will easily burn off the calories.




Sometimes I need to let it go a little longer than 45 minutes to get it nice and brown. Keep checking on it every 15 minutes or so, and pull it when it looks good to you. I'm thinking of concocting a chocolate version of this later this summer.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger I Have To Have It said...

YUM. That looks good. I love homemade granola. Ever tried your hand at homemade granola bars? I've used Alton Brown's recipe and they're delicious.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Sleepwalker said...

No, I haven't tried AB's. I have made a 'Taste of Home' version that I've totally bastardized by adding peanut butter M&M's, though.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Bryan said...

MMMMMMM! Big bowl o' phosphorous!

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home