Monday, September 06, 2004

Labor Day Fun

I must be insane. Maybe it's just all part of being over 40. Maybe it's a deep down yearning for something solid and permanent. Dunno. But I just blew a quarter of my longevity check on a chocolate diamond ring. I've been eyeing it in the Jewelry Television e-Store for about 6 months now, and I finally saw it on the bauble channel, seductively twinkling on the revolving turntable, and I...I just couldn't help myself. Now I know damned well if I had kids or other worthy expenses there is no way in hell my common sense would allow this kind of thing. But since I have chosen to not have a family in that way (and basically become CEO of a small corporation, which is about what it looks like these days), I can say what the fu**, and buy what I want. Can't wait until it gets here. If it's too big or gaudy, I have 30 days to send it back. But come on, anyone who knows me would see the absolute inevitability of me owning chocolate diamonds. 2.27 carats of 'em.

The rest of that longevity check is going toward a second refrigerator. Now there's some genuine common sense to offset the bauble.

Whole lotta stuff to watch on TV lately, besides bauble channels. Republican Convention, and a major hurricane. I must say, I didn't watch too much of the RNC, because most of it was boring and all the good stuff was on after I left for work. But I listened to some on the radio and read about it on Fox News. The 'Fair and Balanced' network. Ha, ha! Well, who cares if they're tilted just a wee bit to the right. I'm tilted just a wee bit to the right too, so I don't really mind. But of course, these conventions are really no more than a lot of preaching to the choir. All the celebrity speakers, the flavor of the month country singer and trash talking are all part of the three-ring circus we call the American government. All part of the show. Sometimes I really wish dad was still around. I'd love to see what he thought of the Afghan war, the Iraq war, politics, and everything else that's gone on since he died. I would love to know if he was as conservative as I think he was, or if I'm even more conservative than he was.

Yep, I am absolutely voting for George W. Bush in November. No, I don't agree with everything he's said or done, and I would love to throttle him every time he says the word 'nucular'. But pretty much right down the line, my values have jived with the Republican party. The only person who scares me more than John Kerry is his wife. The thought of her as First Lady makes me shudder.



1 Comments:

Blogger Mister Orange said...

Shiny things are great. When I start getting real paychecks, and after bills are paid, I may get a little something (probably some sort of food related machinery). Also, I want to get a shiny treat for my excellent and long-suffering wife.

What exactly is a chocolate diamond? I have a good guess.

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home