Monday, September 26, 2005

Purple Haze Part II

Thursday's project: 5 1/2 bottles of elderberry cordial. The big bowl of juice I had in the basement fridge was just a bit short, so I had to top it off with a tiny bit of water. But by the time I boiled it with sugar and the spice bag, it tasted plenty rich and fruity. It fairly shouted 'Christmas'. Brandy, cinnamon, allspice and cloves, and of course deep, dark elderberry. Just a hint of bitterness. The only thing it really needs is a twist of orange peel. Hopefully it will age nicely by the holidays.

No more purple messes. Now it will be onward to messes with apples. Saturday, we picked I don't know how many pounds from the neighbors' tree, and got some from a wild apple tree alongside the dirt road we use for walking. I've got plans for apple butter, and I may even take on crabapple jelly. We found a tree full of pretty golden red crab apples along another dirt road, and they were irresistible. So cute and tart.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Lookin' forward to some of that cordial around Christmas.

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home