Homemade Pasta
Chris, you inspired me to get out my pasta roller and make some homemade pasta Friday.
I looked up a basic dough, and it was too damn dry. As always. So I added a couple more eggs, and wrapped it up and left it overnight in the fridge. It was very easy to handle. Then I made a filling of ricotta, chopped parsley and sundried tomatoes. I even used up some sour cream and threw a block of lowfat cream cheese in there. Maybe about 6 eggs, and salt and pepper.
All I did was spiral up the filling and squish the rolls into 2 and a half pans. If I'm going to make lasagna or any kind of stuffed pasta, I'm going to make it worth the trouble and mess and make a LOT. I didn't dry the pasta sheets. I didn't trim or cut them into special shapes. I didn't pre cook them. And most importantly, I didn't drop the F-bomb, which I do every other time I get out my pasta roller.
I confess I used purchased shredded mozzarella and purchased jarred tomato sauce. I haven't been able to make any kind of tomato sauce I'm impressed with more than my favorite store brand. So I don't bother.
The pasta sheets were nice and velvety. There was probably too much filling (note the solid cake-like block after it was refrigerated) but it was exactly what my carb- and cheese-craving February-weary soul wanted.


2 Comments:
That looks like a pyrex dish full of comfort and happiness. Cold weather and a bunch of red wine would combine with that dish to send you to stratospheric heights of satisfaction.
Has anyone from work reacted with astonishment at the idea that it's actually possible to MAKE pasta?
Red wine! That's what we didn't have with it. No matter, there's still LOTS left. Comforting? Oh yes. It was calling my name at 0430 this morning.
This might sound horribly egocentric, but if I mentioned at work that I made pasta from scratch, it probably would just get nods. Because they know I would do that.
Post a Comment
<< Home