Friday, April 06, 2007

75% Done







Things are happening pretty fast now. We've got paneling on some of the walls, and the tile is going down on the floor. And we now have, at times, up to 5 guys at once in the basement. Which is why things are moving so fast.

When we first envisioned this whole project, and spent many shivery hours going over plans with Karl in the basement months ago, I didn't quite have this in mind. But, in order to get this done by the beginning of May, this is necessary. And Karl is quite honest about where his abilities fall short. That's when he calls in people who can fill in the gaps. Something we so appreciate. We're getting excellent service and quality work.

But as Karl was leaving last night (at 9pm!!), he looked for a minute at the TV, on which I had 'American Chopper' which happened to be showing Paul Sr. and Mikey (I know, usually it's Paul Jr.) going at it hammer and tongs, with every other word bleeped out. As if reminded of something, he then turned to me and asked me if I had heard anything I was not supposed to hear today. WTF? 'Such as...??' I prompted. 'Oh, I'm not going to give you any clues,' says he. Well, apparently there were several heated disputes which took place among the guys during the day. I had heard nothing out of the ordinary. He was pleased I hadn't heard anything, but it was obvious he felt bad about it. I didn't ask who was involved, or what the subject matter was. I guess I really don't need to know.

The topic came up again today when I told him I'd probably be out of the house for most of the afternoon being completely girly and shopping. 'Is this possibly a stress-relieving shopping trip?' he asks. I squirmed only slightly and said, partially, yes. And then I confessed that I felt just possibly the testosterone in the basement was reaching toxic levels. But that I knew it was necessary to get the work done. 'Is it me that's the cause of all this testosterone?' he asks. 'No! Absolutely not,' says I (squinting under the glare of those interrogation-lamp brown eyes). Which was just a teeny tiny white lie. The good Lord blessed him with his share, let me tell you all. But I assured him all was well, and that he was doing a great job commanding the troops. I won't bore you with the entire conversation, but now I'm *really* curious as to what went on yesterday, almost to the point of listening by the floor vents from now on. Which would be slightly childish, I know. Then he blew me away by asking not once, but twice today if there was anything he could do to help the situation. Good Lord, really, it's *not* that bad. Nominations for sweetest contractor on the face of the earth? Send 'em here.

As for my shopping trip, I'd say it was a success. I spent over 2 hours in Kohl's. Everything on sale, plus I had a 15% off coupon. I bought two hoodie sweaters, two belts, some sheer trouser stockings, a pair of chocolate-brown dress pants, a pair of rock-star sunglasses, a pair of shoes for work, a bunch of cute girly baby outfits for my new niece Cecelia, and two pairs of Levi's jeans. I haven't owned a pair of Levi's since I was in college. And I've *never* owned a size 6 pair of jeans. I know they increased the sizes, but still...! 6, baby!! I actually had an 'Oh, yeah' moment in the dressing room. Low rise, boot cut...I'm now on my way to being up to date with the rest of the world. I won't be baring my middle-aged midriff to the world (not quite in that good shape), but things are....OK.

Then I went to the other side of the highway to a new shopping mall, and found a pair of strappy high heels to go with the dress I plan to wear on Easter, cold weather be double damned. I've never been in a shoe store as big as DSW. Miles of shoes, and cool music piped overhead. Then I wandered down to Coldwater Creek, and ended up spending almost $100 on two blouses. I stifled my mental 'EEEEK!!' and slapped down my Amex card. I think Tim might be sorry he suggested I go out for the afternoon. But: they are practical crisp, clean white blouses. One has a tie front, which will help show off the waist the good Lord gave me. The other is an eyelet and leaf/flower-embroidered all-white mandarin collar with poet sleeves. I've never had anything quite like that, but I liked it the minute I saw it. To me, there are few things more youthful than a simple, crisp white top.

I did not buy one single thing for the basement. Which was in keeping with getting out of the house and away from the sawing and hammering and testosterone for the afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home