Monday, September 15, 2008

OK, I'm Awake Now!!

Rude alarm clock #1: 'We've got problems!' This from Tim as he sticks his head into the bedroom to wake me up Sunday evening. Yep, I'd definitely have to agree with that, as I follow him downstairs to the basement where he has been trying to shop-vac ankle-deep water out of the sump pump room. It's overflowed the half-inch barrier at the door and is pooling in the main room. Water has seeped under the wall, into the bedroom, bedroom closet and bathroom. After 4+ inches of rain over the weekend, some kind of blockage has occurred in the piping, and water sprayed from a loose check valve, and the pump quit working long enough to flood the place.

Rude alarm clock #2: Karl shows up minutes later to assess the problem...with a cast on his right wrist. We then find out three weeks ago he blacked out one afternoon for no apparent reason while on a roof and took a 15-foot tumble. Oh, and a couple broken facial bones and rib, too. You'd never know all this happened to look at him, and the cast was partially hidden by his shirt sleeve. He probably wouldn't have even said a word about it if I hadn't pulled up the sleeve and inquired as to what happened.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Aw, crap!!

10:20 AM  
Blogger Sleepwalker said...

We got everything mopped up with towels last night, and between the pump and squeegee, all the water is drained out of the sump pump room now. We've got fans, heaters and the dehumidifier going, and the place is pretty much dried out.

As for Karl, I truly feel deprived of an almighty righteous chicken soup-dispensing freak-out. I was so out of it and distracted last night I didn't even think to give him a hug. So I have gone into a baking frenzy the likes of which we have not seen since the holidays. It's for a bake sale at the hospital to benefit a lab coworker who is dying of colon cancer. And it's keeping my mind off of everything that could have/didn't happen.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home