I'm Tired: The Sequel
I'm standing in the guest bathroom with a bottle of red wine in one hand and a bottle of toilet cleaner in the other. I am:
A. About to do myself in in some spectacular drunken fashion worthy of 'Caligula'
B. In the midst of a sudden inspiration for a new mulled autumn drink
C. Taking multitasking just a bit too far
D. Conducting a study of the cleaning power of Shiraz/Viognier blend on porcelain
I suppose the closest right answer would be 'C'. Thinking I'd be efficient when doing more than one thing on more than one floor, I was putting away clutter (the unconsumed bottle of wine on the kitchen counter was only the merest fraction of that) and cleaning the basement bathroom toilet. No toilet cleaner in THAT room *cursing whoever used the last of it and didn't replace it with a fresh bottle...that would be me* so a trek up the stairs and through two other bathrooms to find an extra bottle became necessary. The wine was just along for the ride.
I do this at work all the time. It's a wonder more stuff doesn't end up in really weird places. Thinking I'll make the trip REALLY count, I grab one thing, intending to deliver it upstairs to the main lab or downstairs to the satellite ER lab, wherever I happen to be starting from, like UPS or Santa Claus, and gather more things/tasks along the way like a runaway snowball. By the end of it all, my route is 3 times more convoluted than it needed to be and I've at times forgotten something somewhere anyway.
And it's my unshakeable belief that you must clean the house just as thoroughly for company that MIGHT come as for company that definitely IS coming.
Another belief: you grab motivation to do stuff wherever and whenever it appears, because honey, it might not come again for weeks. Or ever. Yanking the dead stuff out of the outdoor planters and repotting herbs and sweeping the messy patio could be done another time. But if you were too lazy to do it before this very moment, then yes, you do it all now. In the middle of whatever else you were doing.
But hey, I finally finished all my baking for the church bake sale yesterday afternoon. Why did I not have all this done in the previous days? *shrugs* Someone please explain to me how the clock speeds up to double time so that only half of what I planned to get done gets actually accomplished. And I still get to bed late. I started baking/cooking Monday, so I can't figure out why I still had so much to do yet Friday. Could it be I made myself such a huge list? Nahh. It shouldn't have been the least bit tiring to make two double batches of fudge, a double batch of orange cranberry biscotti, 160+ buttermint tuck-ins, and 6 loaves of cinnamon swirl bread.
Well, it didn't look like that much when I wrote out the list the week before. It really honestly didn't.
And I still have to deliver it all to church this morning. I didn't trust myself to drive yesterday afternoon.
So, in a little while I'll drag a brush through my hair, tie it up, put on some clothes and run all this stuff up to church before the bake sale/holiday bazaar starts. Hey, and on the way I can pick up some apples at that nice little market, because I really want to make that spicy apple butter soon and we need more apples to eat anyway, and oh yeah, get gas while it's cheap now, and is there anything we need at the grocery store, and while I'm burning the gas to drive up that way anyway, I could...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home