Friday, December 25, 2009

Treats (Part 3) and Merry Christmas!



Pistachio Baklava with Orange-Cardamom Syrup

Unfortunately, the recipe is not on line (at least not yet). But we saw it in the latest Bon Apetit mag. Tim said 'I was hoping you would notice that.' He looooooooves baklava. I haven't made it since his 40th birthday. So after he left for work Wednesday night, I got out the supplies and started constructing it. I surprised him by sending a pic to him at work as soon as I pulled it out of the oven.

Assembly is pretty standard (10 layers of phyllo and butter, then a thick layer of nuts, sugar and spices [I goofed and put the cardamom in with the cinnamon and pistachios, instead of in the syrup], 10 more layers, more nuts, and then a final 10 layers). It takes at least an hour standing there, layering and brushing, so that's why I've only made baklava twice. But oh, is it ever pretty and puffy and crackly-crisp when it comes out of the oven. And so tasty. The tangy orange syrup really adds a unique touch. The recipe comes from Molly Wizenberg.

ETA 12/31/09: Here's the Bon Appetit link.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home