Saturday, February 20, 2010

Moist Multi-grain Bread


























I started with about 2 1/2 cups of 110F water, and added a serving spoon full of honey. I put in about 3 tsp yeast, and let it bloom.

Then I started adding good stuff: about a half cup of bulgur soaked in 1 cup warm water, about a cup each of rye flour, whole wheat flour, and oat flour (old fashioned oats ground in a food processor), about half a cup of millet, a quarter cup cornmeal, a few tablespoons of wheat bran and about a tablespoon of crushed kosher salt. To this very sticky mixture, I started adding white flour just until it held together well enough to knead. A good 10 minute knead, adding more flour as necessary, and then an overnight cold proof in the fridge, well-covered with plastic wrap.

Next day, I shaped it into long loaves, let them rise on cornmeal-dusted parchment paper, and docked them with a floured knife. I baked them at 400F for 40 minutes, until the interior was 190-ish. I wanted a good crust, so I put a 9X13 pan filled with water in bottom of the oven.

Didn't even wait for them to cool. This was pretty much our lunch: steaming hunks ripped off the loaf, either with butter or olive oil. Butter was best. Yum.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home