Random Rant
---Is anyone else sick of Lindsey Vonn (and her pinkie)? I suppose it's the same thing every two years with the Olympics: the media picks out its darlings ahead of time so they create all the special interest features that fill in the spaces, while all the other extremely talented(but not worth the time of day to the TV networks) athletes compete. And ya gotta love how the darlings are already lined up for spots on Jay Leno's show next week. Finish this race after missing a gate? (a male commentator gushing 'which of her MYRIAD injuries is responsible for this??')Nah, why bother---I'm already on the Leno show!
---When is Metro PCS going to get in trouble for racial stereotyping? Their latest radio commercials sound like white guys putting on fake Indian accents, and the TV commercials show what look like stereotypical Indian computer help-desk guys.
---Unless we've actually turned a corner, and possibly NO ONE is going to get offended by this, or see anything politically incorrect, and we can just treat these as more dumb commercials/background noise and move on.
---Speaking of offensive commercials, anything that shows someone licking her fingers is deeply, ickily disturbing to me. And any full-on view of tongue while eating. There may in fact be quite a number of people who DO want to see Heidi Klum giving a BJ to a container of yogurt and coating her fingers with saliva/oral bacteria, but I personally do not.
Same goes for those Warm Delights commercials (damn it, can't find the one I mean on YouTube!). Because we never see these unsanitary twits wash their hands afterwards. For that matter, why do you need to buy an overpackaged, overpriced dessert? With a cheap box of cake mix, a handful of chocolate chips, some milk, a bowl and a microwave, you can easily have the same damned thing for a fraction of the cost. Many times over. Accompanied by a nice porter or stout.
---OK, I'm confused. I always thought church was a place to go to worship God in the company of other people who believe roughly the same things you do. Apparently, church is so much more than that. Not only is it a great social club, it's also a place to get your earthly self-worth validated. How did I find this out? It seems when mom told the pastor of her new church the latest chapter in the Great Kidney Kaper, in which one of her sons declares his intent to donate an organ to his brother, his response was 'boy, you must have done something right.' And her reaction, as gushily told to me? 'I just LOVE that church!!'
---I saw the above coming. Yes, I did. Not the exact scenario, but the idea of someone so breezily taking credit for the personal decision of her grown adult child. I'm not sure why I'm so irritated. And I'm irritated by my own irritation (and the fact that I feel like I'm spreading vitriol and malcontent by even mentioning it). Kidney envy, maybe? I realize that yes, the potential donor was raised right. And that there is no statute of limitations on being a parent. And I'm not a mother, so I am admittedly clueless as to what the classiest behavior would be if an offspring does something noteworthy. But still...!
---What do you suppose the response would be if I countered the subject (oh, I have a feeling it will come up again) with, 'Well if you use that logic, then Grandma Zucker and Grandma Kueffner deserve credit for this, too. Riiiiiight?'
---The joys of perimenopause: when you consider that the ibuprofen you take will ease both your aching hip, and the pain of the giant zit on your chin.


1 Comments:
All of the above, and then some.
You're right, it's totally predictable- so just enjoy the ride, it ain't over yet....
Post a Comment
<< Home