Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Farmer Maggot, watch your back...

Because after what I found yesterday, I am definitely going back for more. Tim and I were walking along our usual dirt road, and I happened to look to the left into some deep brambly woods (no idea whose property it was), and I thought I was looking at garbage or white plastic grocery bags strewn on the ground. People are the most unbelievable pigs, especially when they drive out in the country and figure no one is ever going to see them chuck their trash out their car windows. I did a double take, and realized I was looking at puffballs. My jaw dropped, and I thought 'Cool!!' I haven't seen these things in years. Decades, actually. We've had a decent amount of rain lately, so that's probably what brought them out. I pointed them out to Tim, and then crept 30 feet or so into the brush and picked one. It was one of the smaller ones, and it weighed at least a pound.

I looked in my 'Edible Wild Plants' book, and did a little research on line, just to be sure I wouldn't be needing a liver transplant after eating it.

I peeled and sliced it and fried it up in a little butter along with some scrambled eggs this morning. Delicious!

3 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Thanks for the link.

11:37 AM  
Blogger One Sick Cookie said...

As I was reading this I coulnd't help but imagine this not actually being a puff ball but rather some member of the poisonous mushroom family.... and you and Tim tripped out on some weird phsycadelic high for weeks. Look at the pretty colors.....


Glad to hear you consulted a resource on edible plants before you ate it!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Mister Orange said...

Wow. It's been so many years, and I remember the taste. Better than mushrooms.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home