This Morning

I was sitting and watching X-Files at 5am this morning when I got the idea that I should go for a walk. To help burn off all this French Toast and other things I've been cramming my cheeks full of chipmunk-fashion the last week or so.
I'm glad I did. It was barely light and the temperature was just perfect for a T-shirt. The air was moist and I could smell EVERYTHING. The cereal-like smell of the chokecherry blossoms, the honey-sweet smell of the autumn olives, the jasmine-tea like scent of the black locusts, the damp dirt of the road, the pine trees, even a pile of fresh wood chips and the fertilizer someone had put on their lawn.
I saw deer crossing the road ahead of me, geese, blue herons and a bazillion other birds. The ones I couldn't see, I could hear singing. I wish I got home from work even earlier than I do so I could go out at that hour every day.
The storm/thundershower that I saw in the distance lit up pink by the sunrise finally got here and it's gray and raining now. But it was a beautiful 5-mile walk at 6am.
The pic? Black raspberry bushes in the back yard. If every one of the flowers back there turns into a berry, we are going to be very happy come July.
Tim and I had a pretty nice Memorial Day. Hot dogs on the grill, roasted garlic potato salad, home-brewed cherry wheat beer and ice cold watermelon enjoyed on the deck; 'Band of Brothers' and the Duke's manly drawl in 'The Longest Day' on the TV, and the red, white and blue drifting in a warm breeze on the front porch. Life is good...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home