Friday, September 08, 2006

Let's Play Stump The Doc

Guess what I get to do Monday morning? Drink a berry-flavored barium sulfate smoothie and go for a CT abdominal scan!

Possibly TMI for some, but I've been having monthly abdominal pain for oh, the last YEAR AND A HALF.

Ultrasound revealed ovarian cysts last summer. However, the pain has taken a turn for the worse lately. I thought it warranted attention.

I was sort of hoping/thinking the doc would just put me on the pill, but no. He's sort of more worried than that, and it seems it might be some kind of adhesion or snagged bowel loop, loosely based on what I've described. I trust his judgement though, and he's not one to do the shotgun approach and order all kinds of tests and crap, or just prescribe drugs. That's why I like him so much. After all, he was a Med Tech before he went on to become a doctor.

I guess I'm not too worried. There aren't any other symptoms or health issues whatsoever. I'll admit, I am curious about the whole thing though.

Meanwhile: I feel like this is truly the end of summer, and I should take a moment to look around and savor it before it's gone. Last night while I was getting dinner ready, I noticed this giant orange-copper full moon coming up throught the trees to the southeast. I stepped out on the deck, and just sort of soaked in the moment. Those late summer bugs were buzzing/humming, the air was still and the temperature was just perfect. The petunias in the hanging baskets and windowboxes are still cascading and going strong. Patio furniture and umbrellas still invitingly there on the deck. That twilight sort of light, with homey-sounding neighborhood noises in the background. One of those times you just want to stop and remember it all.

The only thing that would have made it truly perfect would have been a glass of wine and not having to go to work. But alas, I had to go to work, and fight Blood Bank battles. One of which is a major platelet shortage right now. Everyone wants them, but there just aren't enough to go around. Open heart surgeries must go on, dontcha know. We need plenty of blood components on hand for them.

So, I'm making up for the lack of wine last night right now with a glass of California Zin. And some Trader Joe's Wasabi-Tamari flavored almonds. Whatever else happens, it's still the weekend!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home