Hormonal
That's got to be the reason why I'm sitting here shoveling in a bowl of oatmeal with chocolate chips. Hey, I really *am* hungry...I'm not just doing this for my mouth this time. I don't feel like watching TV, I'm tired but I can't sleep, I'm restless but I can't seem to motivate myself to get anything done around the house, or get off my ass to start getting ready for our camping trip next week. Mopy, vaguely dissatisfied with everything, looking out the window wishing it would either clear up or start violently storming (promises, promises from the Weather Channel AGAIN). Anything but the restless, boring, humid gray day.
I found out about a week ago that a favorite coworker is leaving for a new (and sounds like a better) job. This may explain part of the mopiness. It's a fantastically good move for her to make. It really is. But... I keep having to remind myself she's just leaving my workplace, not my life. It's just going to be a bit more effort to keep in contact, that's all. And there's the nagging specter of even worse staff shortages. We've gotten through it before, we'll get through it again.
Then of course all this gets me thinking about my own job and my own life and all the what-if's and all the reasons why I don't leave my job, and how I ought to get out and do more of...something. Whatever. Anything. Then that spins off into the why I didn't have kids, and why I didn't do this that or the other thing, and how it's too late for kids, or this that or the other thing. Mid-life crisis, anyone?
I'm sure this will all be over in a couple of days. Until then... *eats another handful of chocolate chips and pours pint glass of oatmeal stout*


4 Comments:
Oh no! I don't want to be responsible for a chocolate tirade!
You're not too old for anything. Life is what you want it to be. Maybe you could pick back up on food science. Heh, that way, you can meet up with me when I'm at work! :) And, as far as you and I go, there is no reason we can't meet up for dinner or breakfast anytime. We also have this world wide web to stay connected with.
I hate turning in my Green Beret. This week at work is going to be a long one.
Also, a great *hope* of mine is that they (management) will catch on that they're losing good people and DO SOMETHING! If not, I hope they lose more good people... you deserve better.
You're not responsible for my moody little funk. Let's make that clear. Although I did enjoy my 'chocolate tirade'.
I did actually go to MSU's Food Science courses site this morning and see how many classes I would have to take to finish. *sigh* It's quite a few!
Unfortunately I have a feeling your leaving is not going to cause a great tidal wave of grief, self-castigation, guilt, anguish or desire to change things in management. That would be great though, wouldn't it?? If they were smart, they'd do well to think long and hard about employee retention.
"IF" being the operative word.
I know they want to look at schedule models and rearrange. Who knows what they'll come up with.
Lauri just emailed me back. She's not happy about this either.
Post a Comment
<< Home