Caramel Apple Pie
Ellen requested my Caramel Apple Pie recipe last week, so here it is. I forgot to take a pic of the one I made Sunday, but I dug up an old one from 2 years ago (the monster I made for Rodney's 2-week leave from Iraq party). I must not have ever posted it before, because I can't find it in my recipe file on the Mac. High time to share it! It's from Better Homes & Gardens, October 1997.
1 recipe for single pastry pie crust:
In a bowl, stir together 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/3 cup shortening until pieces are pea size. Using 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water total, sprinkle 1 tablespoon water at a time over the flour mixture, tossing with a fork until all the dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball.
Or use my 'Land O' Lakes Treasury of Country Recipes' one:
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup butter or margarine
4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
Same instructions for making the dough. You get a little more dough to work with, plus leftovers. I prefer a butter crust anyway.
Pie filling:
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
6 cups thinly sliced peeled apples
1 Recipe Crumb topping:
Stir together 1 cup brown sugar (packed), 1/2 cup all purpose flour and 1/2 cup quick cooking rolled oats. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/2 cup butter until the topping mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
1 cup caramel ice cream topping (OR what I will use forevermore: Port Caramel Sauce:)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/3 plus 1 tablespoon ruby port
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
In a heavy medium saucepan, cook the granulated sugar over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until melted. Continue to cook, without stirring, until an amber caramel forms, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the brown sugar and stir until smooth. Return the caramel to the heat and carefully add the port (stir in SLOWLY and use a wire whisk); the caramel will harden slightly. Cook, stirring, until the sugar disssolves. Add the cream and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Transfer the sauce to a pitcher and serve warm.
To make the pie:
Prepare pastry for single crust. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 12 inch circle. Transfer pastry to a 9 inch pie plate (I think mine is 10. And make sure it's deep). Ease pastry into plate, being careful not to stretch it. Trim and crimp edge as desired.
In a large bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Add apple slices and gently toss until coated. Transfer apple mixture to the pastry lined pie plate. Sprinkle Crumb Topping over apple mixture.
To prevent overbrowning, cover the edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 375 oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes more or until top is golden. Remove from oven. Sprinkle pie with pecans, then drizzle with caramel topping. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 8 servings.
NOTES:
I always double the amount of apple mixture filling ingredients. And I add a lot more cinnamon, and often use a bit of cardamom, nutmeg and ginger as well. The apples will be mounded, and you'll have to gently pat the crumb topping onto a small mountain, but after it bakes it will settle down and be level with the top of the pie plate.
I have used Northern Spy, Granny Smith and Spy Gold varieties in this pie with delicious results.
If you double the filling, add another 25 minutes to the bake time, watching the crust carefully for overbrowning.
Labels: Crunchy Caramel Apple Pie


1 Comments:
Looks and sounds delicious!!!!! Thanks for sharing this....
(I found you doing a blogger search)
Post a Comment
<< Home