Sleep in Heavenly Peace
Yes, sleep is definitely on the agenda today. I just finished up working a 7-night stretch. And that included a night from hell when the computer crashed. I have that nasty sneaking feeling like I'm coming down with something. Hopefully this is nothing 12 hours of sleep won't fix.
No, the lab work did not stop coming faster than we could deal with it through the two Christmas days. Until maybe yesterday. The work finally slowed down. Probably only because a lot of doctors' offices were closed, or they're on vacation.
I suspect there are people out there who think births, deaths, sickness, heart attacks, belly-aches, diarrhea, bladder infections etc., etc. ought to slow down or even come to a screeching halt just because the calendar happens to say December 24th. Probably the same people who think not a whole lot goes on just because it's dark outside, and third shifters don't 'sleep', we take 'naps'. Nope, we get to deal with more crap than ever this time of year.
The calendar and the clock are completely arbitrary, man-made things. I don't like to pay much attention to them, but unfortunately am a slave to them just like everyone else. I will probably have a job which involves working nights, holidays and weekends until I retire. I might bitch from time to time about it, but I honestly can't imagine not doing it. Yeah, it would be nice to be in sync with the rest of my family, but I somehow make it work. Or maybe I'm fooling myself into thinking I do.
Maybe later tonight I can take a second and third look at some of my presents. And start dealing out thank yous. They got opened and put aside under the tree over the last few days. I confess I also went out and bought a few things from me to me. I blew a wad on Philosophy bath products yesterday at the mall. Oh, but they smell soooo nice. I had a very nice, minty candy-cane scented shower last night.
Yes, we actually defied all common sense and went to a large local mall the day after Christmas. We were in search of half-off bargains on wrapping paper, tins, gift bags and other Christmas items to stock up for next year. The stuff I really wanted was already gone, but we found a few things. The parking lots were seas of cars, and once again I was reminded why I almost never go to malls. Tim and I felt like we were visiting another planet. There are times I really am starting to feel old.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home