Friday, March 02, 2007

Chocolate Espresso Walnut Tiles






PMS + someone died + Karl's been here 5 days in a row and I haven't baked him anything yet = Bake two large pans of something fattening immediately.

Honestly, I don't know why I so strongly felt had to make 2 pans instead of just one. Don't worry, most of these are going with Tim and I to our workplaces.

I saw this about a month ago in the Midwest Living October 2006 mag. I think I baked the brownies a tad too long (should have been 25 minutes instead of 30), but they were still really good.

1 tablespoon instant espresso powder or instant coffee crystals
1 tablespoon boiling water
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut up
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
Cream Cheese Frosting
Brownie Glaze

Cream Cheese Frosting: In a large mixing bowl, beat one 3-ounce package softened cream cheese, 1/4 cup softened unsalted butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Gradually add 2 cups powdered sugar, beating well. Gradually add 1 cup additional powdered sugar for a spreading consistency.

Brownie Glaze: In a medium saucepan, combine 6 ounces coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate, 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, 3 tablespoons whipping cream and 1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder or coffee crystals. Cook and stir over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat; cool 30 minutes.

For the brownies:

1. In a small bowl, dissolve espresso powder in boiling water. In a large saucepan, melt butter and bittersweet chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Let cool.

2. Line a 13 X 9 X 2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges. Grease foil and set aside. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

3. Stir sugar into cooled chocolate mixture in saucepan; add espresso mixture. Add the eggs one at a time, beating with a wooden spoon after each addition just until combined. Stir in vanilla. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture; stir just until combined. Stir in nuts. Spread the batter into prepared pan.

4. Bake in a 350 oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until top looks set and dry. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Spread with Cream Cheese Frosting, then Brownie Glaze. Cover; chill at least 2 hours or until glaze is set.

5. Use foil to lift brownies out of pan. Cut into bars. Let stand 20 minutes before serving. If you like, garnish with chocolate covered coffee beans.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home