Thursday, April 26, 2007

A Partial Answer

Mocha Java's blood glucose came back as 596. I'm assuming that would be mg/dl, same as what we use for people. And for either a cat or a human, that is *waaaayy* too high. So I think we're on the right track here.

We're set up for an appointment around noon today (yes, it's gonna be another long morning) to take him in, and they'll check his urines for ketones, another key indicator of diabetes. Then he'll need to be hospitalized for a few days so they can give him insulin and start getting him in control. I just can't help but wonder how long this is going on. Hopefully there hasn't been too much damage done by this wildly high glucose all this time.

Next on our crash course list of late will be checking feline glucose levels and giving insulin injections. Yay.

Also in the category of Fun Discoveries: last evening I went downstairs to check out the kitchen cabinets Karl had set today, and our big white farmhouse sink. The gooseneck faucet was still laying on top of the bar counter. Why? Because the thing won't fit now below the bar counter.

I'd thought of this possible problem months ago, but somehow or another we discussed it and dismissed it as a non-issue.

I actually laughed when I saw it, and thought of the very non-Boy Scout words that must have been uttered at the time. I left him a tin of cookies on the countertop and a note basically stating that we'll figure something out.

2 Comments:

Blogger One Sick Cookie said...

So sorry to hear the news. I see a lot of diabetic animals, they CAN be diabetic and live quality lives. Though I think you could do without that added stress right about now.
We do fructosamine testing for diabetes monitoring, it's like a hemoglobin A1C... check into it if you're doctor hasn't mentioned it already.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Sleepwalker said...

She has indeed mentioned it, and we will probably be doing one sometime in the future. She's even mentioned the hopeful fact that with proper management, some diabetic cases even go into remission. So all is not doom and gloom. This is a manageable problem.

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home