Friday, June 01, 2007

Got Granite?



height="240" border='0'/>


Yesterday our kitchen island top got delivered and installed in the basement. It's *sweet*. No more particle-board/cardboard makeshift top. Just need to put a little sealer on it, per the recommendation of the nice young men who installed it, and while we're at it, we ought to put some on the granite we have upstairs. Since it hasn't seen sealer in 9 years. But it's stone, for cryin' out loud. It ought to be able to fend for itself. Right? Mt. Rushmore has stood all this time without one single application of stone sealer.

Other things on the to-do list in the basement include putting oil on the butcher block counter tops (that really does need to be done), finishing washing and sealing several sections of the slate floor, putting on drawer and cupboard door pulls, and other small miscellaneous items. Then we can start 'moving' back in. It seems like we'll never get past this 99% done phase.

As for the rest of the world, I apologize if a lot of stuff has been off my radar. Today's my last (at least right now) day of training my fellow techs on the new instrument. It's been mentally and physically exhausting, but we're getting through it. Fielding a lot of questions you may/may not know the answers to, standing on a hard floor and lecturing for 8 hours, worrying that what I'm saying is sinking in/making sense... On the other hand, I'm picking up more info as I go, and a basic fact of life is that teaching someone else is the best way for you to thoroughly learn something yourself. And a momentous piece of news reached my ears yesterday: our 'go live' date has been actually pushed back a few days. Power to the people!! These office-dwelling paper pushers have absolutely no clue what life on the bench is like. Apparently the people spoke out that we need more time to get our crap together, and their voices were heard. This greatly pleases me. Because I have a three-day weekend immediately following the date (6/14). So if things are crazy or completely tank, I have three days to get drunk, I mean anesthetize the pain, I mean relax afterwards.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Kathy, Mt Rushmore has stood for a long time -- some wear and tear starting to show but it's not like your counter tops are going to be exposed to the elements. Money, Money, Money --- course if you don't do it and something happens, it's probably a violation of any guarantee that the company gives.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Mister Orange said...

You'll have to put that stone to good use. I foresee a big blog post: "Pie Crust Smackdown on Granite Island."

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home