Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Kitchen Voodoo



Otherwise known as Brandy Alexander Pie.

I made this Sunday for our final family Christmas celebration at Mom's. It's an old favorite worth bringing out again.

I think I made this the first time around 1990. It's out of my Hershey's Chocolate Cookbook. It's a little bit of a pain in the ass to make, but in the last 17 years, I've definitely made harder things. What really makes this pie stand out is the chocolate leaf garnish I've always used. They impress the hell out of people, but they really are easy to make.

Also there's no need to strictly use Hershey's cocoa or chocolate. I like to add a little unsweetened chocolate to boost the flavor.

Recipe:

Chocolate Petal Crust
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Hershey's cocoa
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Filling
30 large marshmallows
1/2 cup milk
1 cup Hershey's semisweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 tablespoons brandy
1-2 tablespoons creme de cacao
2 cups heavy/whipping cream

Prepare chocolate petal crust: Cream butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in large mixer bowl. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl; stir into creamed mixture. Shape soft dough into 2 rolls 1 1/2 inches in diameter each. Wrap in plastic wrap (or wax paper). Chill for several hours. Cut one roll into 1/8 inch slices; arrange slices, edges touching, on bottom and up sides and onto rim of greased 9-inch pie pan. Small spaces in crust will not affect pie. Bake at 375 F for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool.





Note: remaining dough may be frozen for later use. Or bake as chocolate refrigerator cookies. Cut roll into 1/8 inch slices. Bake at 375 F for 8-10 minutes or until almost set. Cool slightly. Remove from cookie sheet; cool completely on wire rack. Makes about 1.5 dozen cookies. Yeah, right. Because you've been busy eating dough, you'll end up with significantly fewer than that.

Anyway:

Prepare the filling: Combine marshmallows and milk in medium saucepan. Cook over low hear, stirring constantly, until marshmallows are melted and mixture is smooth. Pour half the marshmallow mixture into a small bowl; set aside. Add chocolate chips to remaining marshmallow mixture; return to low heat and stir until chips are melted. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature. Stir brandy and creme de cacao into reserved marshmallow mixture in the small bowl. Chill until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon.

Whip cream until stiff. Fold 2 cups of the whipped cream into cooled chocolate mixture; spoon into cooled crust. Blend remaining whipped cream into chilled brandy mixture; spread over chocolate mixture. Chill about 2 hours or until firm. Garnish as desired.

Chocolate leaves: thickly paint the undersides of washed and thoroughly dried lemon or salal leaves with melted chocolate. Place in cool area until set. Carefully peel leaf from chocolate.



Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger eretria said...

THIRTY marshmallows? Oh, god, my teeth are rotting just imagining that. ;o)

The chocolate leaves are very pretty indeed. I never really tried doing that, though I know the theory. Guess that's something to do to impress friends the next time I have vivistors, hm?

9:52 AM  
Blogger Sleepwalker said...

The marshmallows are probably the least harmful thing in that whole pie! Their function is more to solidify the filling.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Your pics look great, esp. the closeup of the chocolate leaves. I was not pleased with mine- make another pie so I can try again.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home