Saturday, December 22, 2007

'You'll Rip Your Heart Out!'

Yep, in addition to shooting Daisy Red Rider BB guns in your eyes, there's another dangerous activity one should avoid at all costs: getting too attached to really nice, big-hearted sweet people.

3 months was enough to get a big taste of what empty nest syndrome must be like. I said to a coworker last night, 'Please tell me you went into your son's room after he moved to China, and cried like a baby.' She assured me she absolutely did. Which made me feel better.

So the first 24 hours of Ellen's absence were rough. But...OK, I admit, I've gone down the basement now a few times and actually moved things. Rezoned things. Put things where I want them. Reclaiming the space is slowly happening. But there's still such a void down there. No one making tea, talking to boyfriend/parents, baking cookies... I can tromp down the stairs and flip on the light any old time I want now. Make as much noise as I need to getting stuff out of the fridge. Go down to the bathroom and look at 'The Coolest Sink In The Family' as many times as I want now.

I actually washed the dishes left in the sink this morning.

It still feels weird.

2 Comments:

Blogger eretria said...

Believe me, you're not alone. The flight attendant on the way from Detroit to New York came and sat down next to me and made soothing noises because I was crying so hard.
Just yesterday, I got weepy again. But, my mum said today: If you do end up moving to the US, move close to Kathy. It'll be good for the both of you. I think she's a wise woman.

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is perfectly okay to rip your heart out; in fact, it is almost mandatory when you say good bye to a friend, or watch your 16 year old son drive down the road...alone...for the first time. Those gut-wrenching feelings are what make you the kind, caring, loving person you are. Just know, that your friends care and will help you through it...

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home