Sunday, May 10, 2009

Spoilers for 'Star Trek'

So here it is Mothers' Day, and me with the day off. By myself. See, I got excused from the gala at Tim's parents because I had worked Saturday night. If I had taken part in that, it would have meant being awake/semi-functioning/conscious for 24 hours at least. I've really made a point of not doing that. I have coworkers who would think nothing of it, but I know it messes me up for days afterwards. And it perpetuates the myth that third shifters don't need sleep, or just take 'naps'. The general public continues to believe that sleep during the night is 'sleep', but sleep during the day is just a 'nap'...

Anyway: I got home from church, and Tim went north to Birch Run to have a cook-out with his mom and dad and brother's family, and I made a spur-of-the-moment decision to go out to see a movie. There was a convenient 1040 showing. And if I wait to go see it with a fellow Trekkie or friend, then I'm probably never going to enjoy the theater experience of it.

Thoughts:

--A juvenile deliquent James Tiberius Kirk...me likey. Way cooler than the original.

--I didn't know the Grand Canyon had relocated to rural Iowa 300 years in the future.

--The Nokia cell phone ring in the future? Yep, I can see it.

--The little starship-shaped salt shaker in the night club. For some reason, I just loved that.

--The young Dr. McCoy? Spot on. Perfect. I noticed the most laughs from the crowd were during his scenes. Love the way he got the nick-name 'Bones'.

--Maybe it's middle age, but JEEZ, can they pack any more detail into each and every shot? So much detail, the brain can barely comprehend it. Still, it's all fabulous eye-candy, and it's a big screen full of awesome.

--Chekhov needs less hair. Scotty needs more.

--Speaking of Scotty, I went through half the movie wondering if he was even going to make an appearance, afraid they were going to leave him out. They couldn't POSSIBLY forget Scotty!! But they didn't. And I thoroughly enjoyed his character.

--The little alien that was his compadre on the Starfleet outpost? Not so much. Could have done totally without that.

--The red crab-like creature on the ice planet? It looked way too tropical or warm-climate to be on a snowy world. Scary, but not quite to my zoological liking.

--Uhura and Spock??? What?? Maybe I'm not as up on my Trekkie hook-up knowledge as others, but I didn't see that coming. But I do recall from old Trekkie lore that human females (not just nurse Chapel) found themselves irresistably drawn to Spock. Ahh, yes, wanting the unobtainable....

--Every time something to do with time travel pops up in a story, I'm kind of skeptical. But I think I can live with this. After all, it has made itself an essential plot device before.

--The planet Vulcan destroyed??? But, but...didn't it appear in the other movies?? Or was that the colonized planet?

--What the hell is red matter? Do they really mean anti-matter?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home