Howell at the Moon Boulangerie

I baked bread yesterday, and used some of the spent grains from our beer brewing. I roughly followed a recipe, but it was more winging it than anything. White flour, whole wheat flour, a smidgen of rye flour, couple eggs, a touch of vegetable oil, a generous pour of honey, warm water and yeast, and about 2 cups of grain. I mostly needed information on what, if anything, to do with the grains before adding them to the dough. Most recipes suggested placing them in a blender to grind them up a little and reduce the size of the hulls/chaff. Good idea. But this is still a very heavy, hearty peasant bread. And just think of the fiber...
You might swear I added cocoa or coffee, but nearly all that color is from the dark roasted malt grains. It even has a chocolaty taste, and a slight bitterness that's not all that unpleasant. Guess what makes the perfect spread for it: Nutella! The nutty bitterness of the bread with the nutty sweetness of the Nutella...very nice.
Labels: Spent Grain Bread


2 Comments:
Oh, My! Look at that beautiful bread!
You've been a busy girl lately! It looks delish.
Maybe I should teach you how to download music while that bread is still in the house!!! Ha Ha.
For your information, Miss Smart Ass, I have downloaded 9 songs in the last 2 days. 9! Nanner nanner...
Post a Comment
<< Home