Friday, July 06, 2007

Random Angst

I just got done shaping a batch of butterhorns. Before I'd finished with the first dough circle, it became painfully clear I was going to have to make another batch. The dough is sticky and tearing and the resulting butterhorns are ugly as sin, and completely unacceptable. They look like I don't give a rat's ass.

Well, even if I didn't, these simply cannot be served at a Reinert reunion tomorrow. All right, some of them may look OK, but another batch of dough is going to be mixed up, with the addition of a bit more flour. It may have been the high humidity yesterday that was to blame for this messy dough. They turned out just fine in January, the last time I made them.

I'm not listening to consoling statements of 'Oh, they'll taste just fine' or 'They all look the same once they're chewed up and in people's stomachs,' or 'Oh, no one will notice'. Not listening! Lalalalalalala.....

The good news is that it's only 11:13, and I have *ALL* day to fool around in the kitchen *stops to pour soothing beer*. I still have to simmer down the vinegar sauce for the pulled pork, but that's basically a walk-away job. All the other food prep for the family reunion tomorrow is basically a no-brainer (put in bowl, stick serving spoon in).

My Aunt Mary's cancer is back. For the third time. Must call/e-mail...

I have to go back to work on Monday.

I've been enjoying (maybe a little too much) this two-day break from being in close quarters with my Reinert relatives and/or running a small B&B. I found myself having less patience than I should with people this time around. Well, who knows, maybe I try people's patience at times. But the typical patterns held true as ever this time. One sister-in-law seems to be visiting from a different planet at times. I got a bit impatient with the endless questions and cluelessness. Another sister-in-law is so touchy and irritable, you have to watch what you say to her, and just tune out her non-stop barking at her daughter. The other sister-in-law gets her attention with medical/allergy conditions. If it's not her own, then her kids' allergies/sibling rivalry issues get center stage for all our enjoyment.

And then there's task of getting 10 adults and three children to all agree on what activity to do or where we all want to eat...

It could be way, way worse, I know. We're very lucky having such a great family where people get along this well.

But I found myself intensely craving solitude and time to daydream the whole time we were together near Silver Lake. I don't know what it is about the west side of Michigan, but it seems to bring out the hidden romantic in me. Yes, parts of the area are touristy and tacky, but something about the shore of Lake Michigan makes me think of honeymooning. Being with someone you just fell in love with. Having a wild and crazy fling with someone. Having drunken monkey sex in one of the many little cottages and quaint motels. Don't ask me why. It just seems to be a place that invites hand-holding on the wide beaches, poking into little shops and farm markets, eating ice cream together, and picking fruit in the many orchards in that area. Everyone seems to be from somewhere else.

Now my husband of 14 years is going to read that and say 'Well, you could have shared that bit of information with ME!'

It's supposed to be really hot the next few days. Perfect weather for wearing something sleeveless and/or really low-cut. Maybe that's how *I'll* irritate my sisters-in-law...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home