It's Enough To Make Ya Wanna Go Low Tech
Our coffee maker is apparently possessed.
There I am minding my own business, shoving chocolate in my mouth for breakfast, when it made a weird honking noise and just started brewing hot water all by itself. Scared the hell out of the cats. I shut it off, and refilled the water it had nicely heated. No grounds or coffee filter in place, of course. 15 minutes later, it starts up again. The blue display pad is utterly blank. It *won't* turn off. It won't display anything, no matter what key I hit.
The only thing I can figure is that an auto start program got activated. Now, how the hell do we turn it off??
I guess this is going to mean looking in the instruction booklet (and first finding the English section within).
I beat my head against the nearest hard surface all frigging night long trying to have meaningful discourse with electronics and complex machinery. Do I have to do it at home, too??
With a coffee maker?!


4 Comments:
I'm laughing so hard, people are looking at me strangely.
But, remember Marvin, the paranoid android: His last meaningful conversation in a couple million years was with a coffeemaker, too. Maybe it was yours?
That coffee maker is pretty old, isn't it? Could it be time for a new one?
Um, no. It's brand new. Actually the second new one, because the first one leaked all over the damn place from somewhere in the reservoir. Tim talked to a hotline rep yesterday morning about this latest electronic oddity (the first being the failure of the right menu to come up on the display to disable the obnoxious, ear-piercing 'coffee is done!' alarm).
Time to get out the French press again??
At 1346 Wednesday November 21 there was great rejoicing in the Reinert house. A new coffeemaker worked just fine, didn't leak water, and the alarm can be shut off on the new coffeemaker so there is no longer an annoying sound when the coffee is done brewing.
The only downside is a version of retail fraud will occur when I return the old coffeemaker purchased 4 weeks ago using the receipt from the one I purchased this week. Hopefully our Prosecutor will forgive me!
Post a Comment
<< Home