Stuff I Learned (Or Relearned) In Arizona
---There's nothing like teamwork. Many hands really do make light work.
---How to get good at dressing while standing on one foot on top of a shoe in a vain attempt to avoid getting more sand in my clothes, while hiding behind a skimpy tamarisk tree or a rock. Or how to do it inside a sleeping bag.
---I CAN French braid someone else's hair. Not much different than doing my own, and it turned out pretty good. My sister-in-law loved it.
---There are some truly fascinating people out in the world. I wish there was more time to listen to them tell me stuff about themselves. For example: a nine-fingered triathlete substitute teacher who loves baking brownies. A man who almost drowned during a previous white-water rafting trip, but here he was. A man who looked vaguely Japanese, was born in Israel, looked anywhere between 35 and 50 years of age but smiled coyly and said he was 29 when asked how old he was.
---I absolutely need alone time. I think everyone does. Every day. Even 5 minutes. Preferably a lot more.
---There are some in every crowd--the Alpha People. The ones who love/need being the center of attention and in control. The ones who you slowly learn are not talking loud enough to include you in their conversation, more likely just making sure you hear their greatness. Smile to self silently and be amused.
---'If you can put your knee there, you can put your foot there'. Steve's rock-climbing advice, which probably saved myself and another short-legged man many more skins and scrapes.
---Buying jewelry from the person who made it, or knows the person who made it is far and away more gratifying than buying it online.
---Anything eaten while being outdoors all day tastes better. Whether it be a silly little Butterfinger bar, a sandwich or a steak, it just somehow does.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home