Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Lemon Rolls




Having gotten so inspired by the orange yeast rolls a few weeks ago, I decided to try them with lemon. I made them the way as the Sweet Orange Rolls. Only I used lemon zest instead of orange, and lemonade concentrate instead of frozen orange juice concentrate. And with all the violets blooming around the yard, how could I not add a flourish of edible springtime flower petals? To add a bit of floral flavor/fragrance to the whole thing, I got the rosewater idea from here:

Havecakewilltravel

But the more I thought about it, rosewater can have a very perfumy kind of scent. So I used orange flower water instead, and only a little in the icing. I wanted lemon with a hint of floral, not flowers with a hint of lemon.





These were delish warm out of the oven. Something about lemon seems to fade after baking, so maybe next time (this is a prototype recipe) I'll use more lemon zest in the filling, and boost the icing flavor with some zest or lemon oil.

Who knows, if I ever open my own B&B or bakery (Bryan has already named it Kathy's Kountry Kitchen), these could be a menu item.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger eretria said...

It would be the KKK.

Uhm ...

(Why am I not surprised Bryan came up with that?)

They look fantastic. And, incidentally, I just made yeast dough so I can get up at the crack of dawn to take some of the orange rolls to the office fresh tomorrow. I was thinking cinnamon buns, but then I caught myself grating a bit of orange zest in the dough, and thought: Hah, Kathy! Must use her idea. Now, I don't have the frozen juice concentrate, do you think it'll work with regular orange juice as well if I add a little orange oil?

5:45 PM  
Blogger Sleepwalker said...

Your version should work just fine. That would be closer to the original version anyway. The OJ concentrate was something I threw in.

KKK, I know. But hey, it's Howell, so... (Sorry!!) It was our corny, kitschy way of deliberately misspelling everything to include a 'K'. 'Kathy's Kountry Klassics', maybe? 'Kathy's Kountry Korner'? Or how about 'Lovin' From Kathy's Oven'?

8:44 PM  
Blogger Mister Orange said...

Beautiful! I'm vibrating with envy. How about something like Sugar Lodge or The 80's Hair Band Hideaway? Or Triple Kat Kottage?

9:27 AM  
Blogger I Have To Have It said...

Can you please send some our way? That'd be lovely. Thanks.

Seriously, those look so good. I wasn't hungry, but my tummy's now grumbling.

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home