New Wheels
Today we test drove/looked at a Chevy Traverse.
It has been eight and a half years since we've sat across a desk from a car saleperson. And roughly five since we've had car payments to make. So bringing home a new vehicle is a fun new experience all over again.
This is Tim's choice of vehicle to replace the 12 year-old Pontiac Grand Prix. If we want him to have the safety of all wheel drive, and buy domestic, this is pretty much the type of vehicle we need to go with (a crossover). To be quite honest, we really don't need all the seating and cargo space it has. And I think it looks a little too mini-van like. The thing seems absolutely huge. Which is funny, considering the fact that I drive a full size truck. But the top nearly comes even with the top of the truck cab. And gas mileage? We'll be doing the same as what we have now. I'm not exactly happy about that. The good news is that it fits in the garage with the truck. Barely.
It handles great on snow-covered roads, too. And feels pretty comfy on the highway. It would do nicely on the trip to North Carolina next month. The biggest bonus is that it will tow our camper. So we would have a choice of what vehicle to take camping. Tim wants to check out the Buick and GMC equivalents before we make a final decision. With the Traverse, we can get the options we want without signing on for all kinds of extra packages. We don't need the deluxe entertainment systems for passengers that won't be there 99% of the time, and who are of an age to not need the visual pacifiers of DVD's. Tim's had a sun/moon roof before, and doesn't care for them. The rear view video screen? That's what mirrors are for. And he just bought himself a standalone GPS, so we don't need all that.
I could have had a major 'I told you so' moment today. Leaving keys in the ignition if you aren't in the vehicle/driving? To me, a dumb-ass idea. Well, SOMEONE'S habit of doing that came around to bite him in the butt. Some combination of settings and remote start feature rendered us locked out the second we both exited the car. Where was the key? Guess where. He had to call the dealer and the salesperson had to drive out to our house with a spare key.
Doesn't that sort of make up for me not knowing the right answers to most of the questions asked us today, and not doing any new vehicle research whatsoever?


5 Comments:
Yes! Buy a vehicle, please! Anything!
That's 1 down, 13,000,000 to go....
Not bad, but, wow, huge.
Well, yeah, I was envisioning something more car-like. But I do want the Timmeh to be safer on the road, so...
Nice looking vehicle. If you want to burn less gas, what about the Pontiac Vibe? I think they make it in all wheel drive. No trailering, though. It might be the same as the Saturn Aura. Whatever you buy, I will caress it in February.
You won't be caressing a Vibe. We both decided that was TOO small. Hopefully we will be taking deliver of our new vehicle (Silver Moss) early next week.
Post a Comment
<< Home