Friday, February 06, 2009

New Commander in Chief

Nope, not talking about President Obama. I'm still reserving judgement on that, although so far he still seems to be pretty cool. His whole idea of bankrupting the next 57 generations of Americans with another bazillion dollar bailout, though...me really no likey too much.

Our new Lab Director started her job on Monday. What has she done in the last 4 days? Sent the entire lab into a frenzy of rumor-mongering and gossip. The first sentence of every other coworker starts 'Didja hear...?!!' Seems all she's done so far is pick apart the employees for not wearing gloves, listening in to a conversation where the Blood Bank senior tech is instructing the student ('You should already know that'), and not having an I. D. badge visible on their person. Yes, all things we should be doing, but stupid, nitpicky stuff. Believe me when I say we've got bigger fish to fry.

I'm trying to remember when I have last had the experience of having a new boss. And by 'new', I mean, I don't know this person. From Adam. That's been over 20 years. I'm serious: It's always been someone I knew, someone who moved up in the ranks. It's kind of unsettling. She did not say one word at a lab meeting yesterday. Not ONE WORD. Just looked around at all of us. Slightly creepy. You would think a new Lab Director would at least say, Hi, I'm So-&-so from Wherever, and I'm looking forward to working here... Nope. Nothing.

By all appearances (and our conclusions), this person seems to have been deliberately picked by the parent corporation to come in and do a hatchet job on all the pork she can before she leaves. Which is making us all wonder what and who is going to get cut. What kind of changes are coming. Who this alpha female is going to piss on next.

The first impression I got when I first laid eyes on her was: Wow, what happened to her eyes? The bags! I mean seriously, people. You gotta do some major rubbing and tugging and sleep deprivation to get Samsonites like those. Second impression, and this is the one I don't dare say out loud anywhere near work: Emperor Palpatine!

In the last few days, I've come to the conclusion that I need to really hone my invisibility skills. That, or become a very fast moving target. It's GOOD to be on third shift!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home