Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Planting Stuff



This year it was the color pink that spoke to me in the garden centers/nurseries. Last year it was all red in the window boxes and containers. This year, I guess I'm feeling pink. This pale silvery shade of petunia said 'take me home'.



And this is future pesto and panzanella. I need to get more basil seedlings. I really didn't have enough enough of this stuff last year. And this year I won't let the catnip bully it and invade its space.

And notice the deep chocolatey black stuff it's planted in? After 8 or so years of trekking out behind the shed to dump our coffee grounds, fruit peelings, eggshells and non-edible vegetable scraps into Tim's home-built compost bin, we have wheelbarrow-loads of dark crumbly (and hopefully nutritious) compost. Sometimes I really do get into gardening!

2 Comments:

Blogger eretria said...

Yay for gardening! Did you free the thyme and oregano on the raised flowerbeds, too?
What's the blue/purple flower behind the petunia?
And, if you have a snail/slug problem you want to invest in way to protect your lovely wee basil ... (Why, yes, when it comes to slugs, I'm all for chemical warfare. They even went all the way up to my elderberry tree and ate the blossoms - which I'd wanted to use for syrup!)

1:16 AM  
Blogger Sleepwalker said...

The thyme and rosemary in the raised beds sadly did not overwinter. So I dug out their dead branchy remains. The oregano is going as crazy as ever. But I'll let it, because it crowds out weeds, and the bees love the blossoms.

The purple thing is angelonia. I should have gotten pink, but maybe the purple is a good accent to my all-pink scheme. I should get some more for the other window boxes and stick something purple in the other containers too. I hope to have this all finished this weekend.

So far, thankfully, no slug problems here. We have bigger pests that eat/dig up our plants, like chipmunks, rabbits, raccoons, and deer.

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home