Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Volunteering, Etc.

We just had a good, if busy weekend. Saturday we went to the Reinert reunion in Frankenmuth, and that was well attended. We missed last year's, due to the fact that it was in Indiana and there was no good way to make it there with Tim's working so late into Saturday mornings. We visited Aunt Mary and Grandpa for a while, and got updated on Dennis's condition. And I got to meet a couple of mom's OLLI friends in Frankenmuth. Who are even more energetic and talkative than she is.

Sunday we volunteered for the LACASA Garden tour. This is the 11th year they have held this major fundraiser. I signed up for a spot at this garden. Tim wanted to come along, so we helped sell tickets, check armbands, sell prize basket raffle tickets and welcome visitors. I was glad he was there, because it could get a little busy, even with two other volunteers. The homeowners were super friendly and sweet, and their garden was awesome. They'd done all that work in only 2 years. After our morning shift was over, we spent the rest of the afternoon touring a few other gardens. It was a good way to get inspired (or depressed!) about our own yard and flower beds, and a good way to spend a perfect sunny Sunday.

I think I've gotten to the point where I'm more help than hindrance by now on my regular Thursday mornings volunteering on the crisis phone line at LACASA. At least the legal advocate says so! I've more or less figured out the phone system (which also opens the shelter doors and the car gate, and the side doors also). There's a lot going on back there. Shelter residents coming and going, needing to check in and out, needing to use the phone; the fence alarm going off (birds like to land on it), and when the phone rings, you never know what kind of call it's going to be. Could be someone just needing information, wanting to talk to a staff member, or wanting to confirm an appointment. I've talked to both assailants and victims. It blows my mind how polite and friendly the assailants are on the phone. Seriously. I talked to a couple of victims calling for the first time last week. Somehow I've been able to be detached (as I need to be) when talking to someone who can barely speak because she's crying, or very close to doing so. My biggest peeve is that I'm not able to short-hand all the necessary info (legibly!), or I worry that I'll forget to ask a crucial question. And then I have to tidily translate it all into a brief.

So it seems that I've been put where I can do some good. At least I don't jump any more each time the phone rings.

OK, so after all that socializing and sunshine, I'm sort of craving some time in a dark hole for a while. Oh hey---that would be work!

1 Comments:

Blogger eretria said...

*drive by smooch, so you don't think you're forgotten*

1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home