Monday, June 22, 2009

Epicurean Rock Bottom









Guess you have to experience the lows to appreciate the highs, right?

This meal followed a shopping trip, which included Walmart. And since it was warm, me wearing an old white tank top. For being unplanned, the white trash evening really came together quite neatly.

Why on earth people camped out a day before the Howell White Castle opened in order to be first in line to eat these things, I will never know. Yes, they have a good beef and onion flavor. They're very soft, which I'm sure would make it easy to eat lots of them quickly. While driving, even. These would make good drunk food. Just don't look at the gray meat, and where the bun meets the onions there is a squishiness that borders on disgusting. Actually, these are kind of gross. I'm figuring out how to redeem the rest of the sack of 10 into cheeseburger salad. Maybe if I take a good cheddar to secure the top bun to the meat and toast or broil them until crisp, and then quarter them into meaty croutons to toss with greens and tomatoes...?

Until Sunday night I had never touched my lips to a White Castle hamburger (or 'slider' as they are commonly referred to). 46.2 years old, and I finally broke down. It's mandatory that a summer vacation include eating something utterly ridiculous, and this was it. Tim wanted nothing to do with them. Been there, done that. I now feel both sullied and pleased at the same time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

I too am baffled by the following these things command. I tried them the first and only time a few years ago myself, and once is definitely more than enough.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Sleepwalker said...

The leftovers were exponentially better with a square of Pinconning extra sharp cheddar under the top bun and baked in the oven about 20 minutes. Then cut up and tossed with greens, tomaotes and sweet Vidalia onions and my custom cheeseburger salad dressing. But it still doesn't justify future purchases.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home