Life is Good
It's November in Michigan. It's 63 F, and I'm sitting out on the deck, my feet (bare!) are propped up on the table and I'm drinking a 2004 Zarafa Sauvignon Blanc from South Africa. Just half a glass. Nothing crazy. It is a work day, after all. I just returned a phone call from my dentist, who was kind enough to call me at home last night to see how I was doing after 3 long hours in his chair yesterday morning. Other than the slightly nasty clove flavor from the temporary crown cement, I would never know all that work went on yesterday.
I have three cranberry coffee cakes baking in the oven, and two pans of chocolate caramel bars cooling on the stove top right now. No, I haven't flipped my lid and completely gone carb crazy, and no, Tim and I have no plans to eat all this ourselves and then crawl into a cave and hibernate. All this stuff is for the annual bake sale at our church this weekend. I don't do much for church, but this at least I can do. Forget teaching Sunday school or anything to do with people/kids. But I will mess up my kitchen and handle controlled substances, and then drop off pans of gooey goodness in the dark early morning hours so that they can be sold and the proceeds can go hopefully for some good cause.
I tried to weasel out of the dental work. I really did. But old fillings just aren't made to last. And the downer is that brushing and flossing and fluoride toothpaste just don't seem to be completely doing the job. The decay goes on, I suppose like everything else in the world. But I don't think I could have picked a better dentist. I would go there just to sit and talk to everyone in that office without needing any work done, they are all so nice and happy doing their jobs. Dr. O. cheerily told me when we had reached the halfway point in my fillings/crown prep work, and he said it was all downhill from then. Kind of like skiing the 8 miles down the Matterhorn. Then he proceeded to wistfully reminisce about the very vacation trip when he did that. And I'm lying there with two pairs of hands and an assortment of wicked dental tools in my mouth thinking, oh yes, I probably helped pay for a tiny part of that...
But the main thing is the big appointment is over, and the next visit will be very easy and quick.
I think, if I type fast, I have time to put in these recipes. Then I have to get to bed.
I especially like this one for taking to church bake sales ;) :
"Super Sinfuls"
From the Saginaw Symphony "Chocolate Suite" Cookbook
Ingredients
2 C. flour
1 C. brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 C. quick-cooking rolled oats
1 C. butter
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 12-oz jar caramel ice cream sauce
4 Tb. flour
1 C. semisweet chocolate chips*
Combine the 2 cups flour, brown sugar, oatmeal, salt and soda thoroughly. Cut butter in until particles are fine. Reserve 2 cups of this mixture, and press remaining into the bottom of a greased 9X13 pan. Bake 10 minutes at 350. In a small bowl, combine the caramel sauce and the 4 tablespoons flour. Spread this mixture over the baked crust (let cool a little, otherwise crust will pull and tear). Sprinkle with the chocolate chips. Top with reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes until delicate brown. Cool and cut into bars.
*Much better if the whole bag is used....
Variations:
Try melting about a cup of solid caramel candies with 2 or 3 Tb milk or cream. Use that in place of the caramel sauce. Or use a tub of Marzetti’s Caramel or Peanut Butter Caramel dip for apples. I have also thrown in M&M's or leftover chocolate Halloween candy with the chocolate chip layer.
I've been making these for over 10 years, and they are always a big hit.
Here's a good easy coffee cake:
Cranberry Crumble Coffee Cake
From 'Taste of Home' 1997 Annual Recipe Collection, courtesy of Jeani Robinson, Weirton WV
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
Topping:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons cold butter or margarine
Sprinkle almonds over the bottom of a greased 9 inch springform pan; set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar, butter and vanilla; beat on medium for 1-2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Combine dry ingredients; add to batter alternately with sour cream. Mix well. Spread about 3 cups batter over almonds. Spoon cranberry sauce over over batter. Top with remaining batter. For topping, combine flour, sugar, almonds and vanilla; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350 F for 70 to 75 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove sides of pan. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Notes: I have used disposable foil baking pans with no problem for these. I also use the whole can of cranberry sauce. Chop/stir it with a knife or spoon so it spreads over the batter easier. I also use more almonds. It looks like the batter won't be enough, but it is: just use a butter knife to carefully spread it over the almonds/cranberry sauce.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home