Got Studs?
The basement, week 3:
That whole section is a store room, bedroom and full bath. Hard to take a pic that shows much of anything right now. When the drywall goes up, it will be easier to see the actual walls.
The bathroom. Shower enclosure will go to the right, and the vanity/sink will go between the ^%$# sewage closet (a necessary evil) and that boxed-out corner.
The beginnings of the back kitchen half-wall and where the bar will be.
Today: We put a deposit down on a big old beautiful knotty white pine log that will be our fireplace mantel. I ordered the fireplace box Friday, and we should be hearing soon if that's come in for us to pick up. Sunday I bought a clear glass vessel sink for the bathroom. Good price *and* 15% off sale at the Great Indoors. I should probably open up the box and make sure it isn't cracked or something.
I think today I officially abandoned the idea of concealing the support posts with hollowed-out logs. The owner of the mantel store told us he'd look into some ideas for surrounding them and then facing them with some kind of 'live' edge to give it that rustic log look. But I think the cost is going to be obscene. I think Karl is secretly glad, but he insisted he would do whatever we wanted. Which I'm sure he would, I just don't want to create headaches for us all, and cause him to talk to himself even more than he already does. Boxing them in will be easier, faster, and will piece together with the kitchen island and bar much better.


3 Comments:
Wow, wow and wow. I can't wait. I'm so jealous of you basement-havin' folks.
You know, surrounding the support posts with logs probably would be no more difficult later than it is now. I wouldn't abandon the idea altogether. I've got more trees than I know what to do with here; I'll strap one to the top of the car when we drive up.
Sweet. So good to see actual progress in a basement...
Are you still doing the tongue-in-groove pine thing? If so, that might be the thing to box the posts with?
Chris, make that 3 trees...one for each post. And you said 'we'...does that mean Lindsey is coming too? Yes??
Tongue and groove only on the walls. Too much work for posts, so Karl would just cover studs with vertical pine.
Post a Comment
<< Home