Monday, May 05, 2008

Last Weekend

Per Ellen's request, here are a few pics from the previous weekend celebrating niece Elise's first communion and multiple family birthdays. I didn't take that many pics either, I guess I was too busy having fun. All the cooking? That didn't seem like work. At the last minute it was requested I bring my Vidalia Onion Pizzas in addition to a pasta salad to the party Saturday. But Chris helped out with that. At 1am Saturday morning, he decided the onions were caramelized to perfection. I had already fallen into bed.



The orange rolls we had Friday morning. I should have had something next to the pan to show just how big it was. That's a Chicago-style deep dish pizza pan. With only 10 rolls in it.

Here's the recipe. Not quite written as the one I got from mom years ago:

1 1/2 cups milk (anything but skim)
2 packages dry yeast/2 yeast cakes (that translates to 5 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast, or enough instant yeast until it looks like about enough)
6 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoon shortening (I've always used butter)melted
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp salt
5 cups all purpose flour
I also added some fresh orange rind/zest

Heat milk and sugar to 105-115 F. Sprinkle yeast on liquid and let bloom. Add the eggs, butter and salt. Begin adding flour in stages, stirring, until all or most is added, and dough can be handled. Knead about 5 minutes, adding flour if dough is very sticky.

At this point you can let it rise until doubled and then use, or store in a plastic-covered bowl or zip-lock bag in the refrigerator overnight or up to a few days. I'm becoming a big fan of the slow, cold retardation type rise in all my yeast doughs. Better flavor and texture in the end result.

Filling:

Grated rind of two oranges
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter, softened.
(Or: use a few big spoonfuls of frozen orange juice concentrate and a little less butter)

Roll dough onto lightly floured surface and shape into large rectangle. Mix all filling ingredients and spread onto dough, leaving about a one inch border on long sides so that dough can be sealed. Roll up, pinching dough edge to seal. Filling may be squishy/leaking out. Cut into thick slices and place in greased and/or parchment paper-lined pan of choice. Allow to rise until double. Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes, until golden brown.

Icing:

About 2 cups powdered sugar
2-3 teaspoons powdered citric acid (available at Middle Eastern grocery stores)
Orange juice squeezed from half of one of the oranges you used for the rind/zest
Enough heavy cream/milk to make drizzling consistency
A few drops vanilla extract

Stir thoroughly to dissolve citric acid crystals.

Let rolls cool a few minutes, then drizzle on icing. Serve warm with lots of coffee at a lazy, late, long breakfast.



What the heck...? It's pink! I called this Yooper Red Flannel Hash. Shredded corned beef plus a cup of the slow cooker liquid from cooking the meat, diced potatoes, rutabagas, onions (white and green), brown mustard, salt and pepper, and red beets. Browned up really nice on the 14-inch cast iron griddle, and went nicely with eggs.



Ann and Cecelia in the hammock



We helped clean Scott and Ann's garage so well the day before the party, we had to pull Scott down from the rafters afterward.



A leisurely lunch at Bell's Brewery Friday. Lindsey, you just look really thoughtful :).

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

It was a fine weekend. And the garage is still reasonably clean.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

put your car in the garage! Do it! I double dog dare you!

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home